Wesley Tongson will be honored the “Visionary Artist Award” at the Harmony & Bliss 2019 Gala by the Chinese Culture Center of San Francisco (CCCSF) on October 5, 2019. This year, the gala's theme is "Remembrance" and the CCCSF is thrilled to honor three individuals and two organizations for their leadership and dedication to community:
- President Norman Yee, Lifetime Achievement Award in Bridge Building
- Commissioner Irene Yee Riley, Lifetime Achievement Award in Community Service
- Wesley Tongson, Visionary Artist Award
- Chinese Historical Society of America, Community Trailblazers
- Chinese for Affirmative Action, Community Pioneers
Wesley Tongson taught himself splash ink painting, a technique which originated in 8th century China and was exemplified by the work of Zhang Daqian in the 20th century - and for which he himself would become best known. In his later "finger painting" works, Tongson found his authentic voice. By abandoning the brush altogether and painting with his fingers and nails, Tongson created powerful large scale and emotionally communicative pieces.
Galerie du Monde will be featuring Tongson’s works at Ink Asia 2019 at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre on October 3-7, 2019.
Learn more --