A self-taught artist, Hu Chi-Chung moved to Taiwan in 1950 where he started his career as a painter. After co-founding the Four Seas Artists Association with Fong Chung-Ray in 1957, Hu became a member of the Fifth Moon Group in 1961. He then emigrated from Taiwan to California in the early 1970s, due to considerable interest there by many collectors, galleries and museums in his work. Hu stayed in Carmel, a town on the central coast of California with a large population of artists, writers and photographers. From the early 1970s, he created the majority of his paintings there and it was the location of his first solo exhibition in the U.S.
His works had been selected to show at the Musee d’Art Moderne in Pairs, and at the Museu de Arte Moderna in Sao Paulo, Brazil, and participated in the Sao Paulo Art Biennial from the late 1950s to the early 1960s. He also participated in group and solo exhibitions throughout the world, including Australia, Canada, Italy, Japan, Hong Kong, the Philippines and the U.S.A.